Product Review
DVD Profiler

I have to confess I have a lot of DVDs. In fact, I have about 275 DVDs. And like many other DVD junkies, I find it easy to forget what I have, what I don’t have, what I’ve lent to a friend – even what I haven’t seen in a while and might like to.

A while back I started a spreadsheet listing the DVD title, release year, director, and major stars. It was great, except it was a real pain to keep current. So, needless to say, I didn’t keep it current, so it was eventually a waste of time.

While listening to one of my favorite podcasts recently, I heard about a utility that sounded as though it could solve my problem.

And so far, I’m happy to report, it seems to.

From InterVocative Software, LLC (www.intervocative.com) comes DVD Profiler, a really nifty utility that you can try for free.

InterVocative’s description: “DVD Profiler's unique combination of desktop application and online data access sets it apart from competing alternatives. With a database of over 150,000 DVDs created by an enormous community of dedicated users worldwide, DVD Profiler has become the most complete, most accurate, and most compelling source of DVD information anywhere.”

I am a little confused by the “free” versus “premium” versions of the software. It appears you can download a fully functional version for free. The paid version ($29.95) entitles you to all subsequent releases of the program, and that appears to be the only difference.

The download was straightforward, and then the program required a little time to download the required database information. Once complete, I was ready to start entering my collection.

You have three choices for entering a DVD: enter by UPC or DVD title; enter by putting the DVD into the DVD drive; enter by scanner using the plug-in (you can even use the Cue Cat – remember those?).

Most of my DVDs have UPC (barcodes) – so I simply typed in the numbers on the barcode. Like magic, the film title appeared. I could then enter date of purchase, where I bought it, for how much, my film rating and DVD condition rating. The program downloaded all other relevant information (directors, stars, etc.). One of my DVDs didn’t register – I was then prompted to go ahead and enter that data to share with other users, along with the barcode entry.

I have only begun to learn about the program’s features, which include a lending system (you can enter borrowers - complete with phone number and email address – and even code them for ratings permitted), a wish list with a pricing search engine, a personal “My Profiler” site so others can browse my DVD collection, a forum, and apparently, tons more.

This is the product for the DVD/Home Theatre aficionado. In fact, it’s one of those products you can get for nothing, but you really don’t mind paying for because it’s that useful.

Comments

Popular Posts