Grand Central

The other day I made an appointment to have a service person visit my home. In the usual fashion, the service person would call me between 8 and 12 to let me know when he'd arrive. Which number should he call? Well, thought I, I can have him call my cell number, which will reach me if I'm at work or in transit. But my cell doesn't do such a good job in my house, so if he calls early, I'd rather he called the home phone. What to do?

This would have been a perfect application for Grand Central, a scheme recently acquired by Google and in Beta use right now.

What is Grand Central? "GrandCentral doesn't replace your phones; we just link them together and help them do more. How do we do that? We give people One Number...for LifeTM - a number that's not tied to a phone or a location - but tied to you.

"With GrandCentral, you can be reached with a single number, answer a call at any phone you want, seamlessly switch phones in the middle of a call, and even know whether a call is important before you take it."

So, had I been able to give the service my Grand Central number, it would have rung through to all my phones so I could have answered on whichever phone was most convenient.

You can listen in on messages to decide if you want to take a call; screen and block numbers; and more:
  • Check your messages by phone, email, or online
  • Keep all your messages online for eternity
  • Record and store your phone calls (just like voicemail)
  • Quickly (and secretly) block an annoying caller
  • Click-to-dial from your address book
  • Surprise your callers with a custom voicemail greeting
  • Forward, download, and add notes to your messages
Right now, accounts are by invitation only. However, you can inquire and get on the list by visiting grandcentral.com.

Comments

Popular Posts