I really should check in with Google Labs more often. It's easy to get way behind in developments otherwise.

Google Labs, of course, is where Google developers go to play with new ideas.

Most recently, I checked into developments with Gmail.

Here are just a few of the new tools available. Each of these attempts to solve a problem with the Gmail model.

While I'd like to see all attached images show up within an email (rather than just the selected sources - YouTube, Picasa, Flickr and Yelp), this is still an improvement over the links-only.

Undo send! Whew, yes. There is another tool avaiable in Labs that lets you create an email and sit on it for a specified period of time, when it will be sent.

Don't we all just love Tasks? I keep a running task list on my iGoogle interface. This allows you to access that ToDo from your mobile browser.

And of course, there is offline emailing. Outlook has always allowed you to do this - read previously downloaded emails; create emails that will be sent when you're back online. Now you can do the same with Gmail.

I also enabled a Labs feature that creates different "inboxes." This is something that has bothered me excessively about Gmail. I want to preserve emails in categories (ok, I can use Labels), but I also want to be able to preserve these emails outside of the main body of my emails. Well, this feature doesn't really do that. It does show me several different groups of inboxes according to my filtering - but unfortunately, leaves those emails in the main body of my emails at the same time. Oh, well.. back to the drawing board on this one.

New in Labs: Photo previews, offline access, and more

Try out these and other experimental features from the Labs tab under Gmail Settings:

YouTube, Picasa, Flickr, and Yelp previews
Instead of just links, see previews of photos, videos, and reviews right in your email.

Undo send
Oops, hit "Send" too soon? Give yourself a grace period of a few seconds to cancel sending, then edit your message before sending again.

Tasks mobile
Take your to-do list everywhere you go. Just go to gmail.com/tasks from your mobile browser.

Offline
Make Gmail work even when you're not connected to the internet.

Comments

Popular Posts