Plus or Minus?

I got an invitation to Google+.

Thus far, I am underwhelmed. I don't even really "get" it yet.

It's based on circles - my family, my friends, my acquaintances. And then I can create my own circles, so perhaps church groups, theater "family," clubs, etc. You can also choose to follow these people or not. (I'm not exactly sure why adding them to your circles doesn't mean you are following them automatically?)

Google explains my puzzlement this way, "Then, you can share relevant content with the right people, and follow content posted by people you find interesting. For example, you might post an announcement about your engagement and show it only to people in your friends and family circles, or maybe you see a post from the circle you created for your book club that there's a recent article on your favorite author."

Ok, that does make sense. The same person might be included in several circles, so, for example, I might have my sister in both my family and friends circles, so that she gets notifications I post to both.

You might want to include more people in your circles. To do this:

"On the side of the stream and on the Find and Invite tab, you may see suggestions for people Google+ thinks you might know. Suggestions could be generated by:
  • Your mutual connections with people on Google products such as Gmail.
  • Interaction you’ve had with others on Google products.
  • The links you've added to your profile.
  • The connected accounts you've linked on your Google Account.
  • The people who are in your extended circles.
While viewing your suggestions beside the stream, you can add suggested people to your circles by clicking Add to circles next to their name. If you don’t know a suggested person or if you don’t want to add them to a circle, mouse over the person's name and click the X.

You can view all of your suggestions at once by clicking Show all. This will take you to the Find and Invite tab where you can edit your circles."


You can also invite people to join Google+. Each member automatically gets eight invitations (you'll see a little envelope at the bottom of your screen). Invite people who aren't already members with whom you'd like to stay in touch.

Googl+'s "like" equivalent is something called "+1," and it behaves the same way as "like." (I'm talking Facebook here, of course.) Because, indeed, Google+ is Google's challenge to Facebook and its phenomenal success.

The only problem is, thus far, I just don't see how Google+ is any better than Facebook. It does try to be, I'll give it that. For example, Google+ offers something called "Sparks," which is an area dedicated to interests. You can search among existing interests, or add one of your own. Then you can recommend this info to your circles. So let's say you have a bunch of friends in a political circle - now you can share provocative articles with them and get a discussion going. Or maybe you're a foodie, and want to share recipes.

"Hangouts" is Google+'s chat room:

"Hangouts are the best way for you to say, “I’m online and want to hangout!” Hangouts lets you:
  • Chill with friends that are scrolling through the web, just like you!
  • Use live video chat that puts you in the same room together!
  • Coordinate plans, whether it's working on a project or meeting up for coffee.
  • Maybe you’re bored. Start a hangout, invite your circles, see who’s around!"
Call me crazy, but doesn't Google already offer this opportunity with Google Talk? All my family, friends, and acquaintances are already in my Google Contacts, and if they're online, I know it and can start a chat with them. The only benefit of Hangouts, I suppose, is that it opens the conversation up to many more people.

Then, of course, you have your profile option (for your flattering picture and over-the-top self description); a place to share photos; and then there's something called "The Stream."

"The stream is the place to have meaningful conversations with the people you care about. It centralizes all the content people have shared with you, as well as the people who are trying to share with you, but who aren't yet in your circles. You might see text posts, pictures, videos, links, or location markers. When you share with people either individually or through a circle, your content will appear in their stream."

It kind of goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, there is a mobile version, so you can get a native app for your recent version of the Android or iPhone; you can also use Google+ in your phone's browser while you're on the go.

The jury, as they say, is still out on this one. I've just started to use it, and I will let you know whether it becomes an indispensable part of my day. (I do have one friend who has quit FB in favor of Google+, so you never know!)

Comments

Popular Posts