Power for the People

A recent article in PC Magazine reminded me of a subject dear to all PC-users hearts: adequate battery power when traveling.

Of course, before I leave (even for a meeting), I make sure to bring my laptop's power adapter. Using an adapter not intended for your laptop can damage it (sometimes beyond repair), and not having your laptop when you need it can damage you. Another good strategy is to get a second power adapter for your laptop and leave it in the carrying case (as I do with a headset, ethernet cable, and portable mouse as well), so that you're always ready for anything on the road. Some users also carry an extra battery with them when they're not likely to find a power outlet during their travels.

There are products you can purchase that will extend battery life. According to PC Magazine, " If you don’t have an outlet nearby (or a spare battery), the APC Universal Notebook Battery UPB70 ($179 direct) and the new UPB90 ($249) can get you up to 6 hours of extra juice."

A power inverter once saved my work-time during an extended (5 day!) power outage here in CNY. An ice storm took down the power lines, and my east-side neighborhood was the last to have power restored. I kept my laptop powered by hooking a power inverter up to my car's power outlet, and plugging in and charging while I ran errands. Home model emergency power supplies will also provide charging power for home-based emergencies.

Some more tips:

Airplane seats with power:

Seat Guru (www.seatguru.com) lets you plan the seat to choose if a power outlet is a necessity.

kropla.com/electric2, provides a useful chart with outlet voltage and amps by country.

Finally, PC Magazine offers "The PCMagCast video at go.pcmag.com/batterycast shows you easy ways to extend your battery life."

Comments

Popular Posts