Technovelgy

I love sci-fi.

As a child, I read my way through the entire category in the local public library.

Over time, I realized I was less enchanted with the stories which were weapon and battle centered, and those who were idea/philosophy driven. So the Ray Bradburys and Philip K. Dicks were great; the endless Star Wars and Mech Wars books, not so much.

When I discovered an author, like Michael Bishop (who wrote a book called
Transfigurations, which literally haunted my dreams for years thereafter) or Dan Simmons (with whose mind I am in love after Hyperion) who could really make me think and consider the possibilities, it was one of life's great pleasures.

In my view, sci-fi authors offer two things: one is ideas unfettered by the rules that normally apply, whether social, political, or scientific. They explore the "what-ifs." The other is that they explore the fringes of real science. Where will, let's say
public transportation be in 50 years? Try Alan Dean Fosters' Sagramanda for a driverless taxi cab.

Or what about something as ancient as perfume? Aldous Huxley explore that in
Brave New World with the "scent-organ," a device supplying odors to order, so to speak.

Now here's a website that catalogues these mind-inventions of these oh-so-creative writers, called "Technovelgy."

Here, you'll find literally thousands of science meets science fiction ideas. And you can submit your own entries from your favorite sci-fi books.

Happy exploring!

Comments

Popular Posts