iPhone Love

Well, I did it.

I got an iPhone.

I had actually ruled it out a while ago - mainly when I heard about the monthly cost. But upon further investigation, and given the value of the convenience, it all seemed to add up.

Not that much more expensive than it's nearest competitor (for an AT&T customer), at $199 (with a two-year contract) for the 8-Gig model, ounce for ounce the iPhone is the most powerful product on the market. While there are individual standouts with other smart phones (like talking GPS with the Blackberry), the overall package with the iPhone is hard to beat.

Naturally, all the other models have to contend with the sleek Apple styling. The iPhone just feels good in your hand - and that's no small thing. It has a comfortable heft, and while I can't vouch for someone with either very small or very large hands (mine are average, I guess), the phone is as the three bears said, "Just right."

There is some controversy over the keypad/touchscreen. There is something comforting about the clicking of a keypad - the so-called "feedback" assurance that you've done something. Apple has added a nice click sound that helps with this; but it is indeed true that the space allotted for each key in the vertical mode isn't ideal. With its June firmware update, Apple plans to add a horizontal format for all the major apps that require keying (texting, notes, etc.).

Still, while this is a little annoying, Apple has a fairly smart auto-complete feature that guesses the word you're entering, and, if correct, the space key will enter it.

But the best thing for me so far has been the absolute ease of adapting. Another reason I'd ruled it out was how certain I was that this was just going to be too much trouble to learn. I've had my complaints about the way iTunes works - though in retrospect perhaps some of that was the "what I'm used to" syndrome more than any true failure of the UI (user interface).

And my first day with it seemed to confirm my suspicions. How the heck could I make a call? To be sure, this was not obvious. My contacts were all downloaded, and I was used to being able to access this list, select a person, and hit call. While it's actually just that easy, it didn't appear to be, and I spent a few frustrated moments before I caught on.

And that was it. Pairing my Blue Tooth had a moment of panic - but nothing to do with Apple. I'm not sure why we're supposed to know that most Blue Tooth devices want you to enter a default PIN of either 1234 or 0000 to engage them with a new device. Synching my phone via iTunes got my calendars all in harmony, and the phone will even hunt for WiFi access wherever you are.

Outlook was enabled just by plugging the phone in via iTunes. Gmail and Yahoo mail were selections from the mail options.

I guess my point is, so far, using the phone has been as brainless as it is handy. Now, wherever I go, my emails, phone, chats, and texts are with me - as well as quick internet searches and GPS.

What remains to be seen is if the cost is significantly higher than predicted. The package includes your regular monthly minues (no difference there) and a data fee of $30/month for unlimited usage. And no, your data transfer time does not effect your minutes in any way. Your text messages are exactly the same - though you now have cheaper option of IMing with your friends for quick messaging.

I was warned that overages on text or phone minutes is exorbitant - but it's also very easy to check your usage.

Stay tuned - I'll let you know if there are any surprises, pleasant or otherwise!

For now, I'm enjoying feeling cool!

Comments

Popular Posts