Fried Motherboard for Lunch

More learning from disasters...

This time, it's a fried motherboard.

Here's what happened: I installed a third party dual-monitor video card. What I didn't do was check the specs on whether the motherboard in the computer in question would support the additional current that would be required to power up the new video card. Remember, the video card plugs into the motherboard, and when you boot up your computer, you're powering on all your drive controllers.

In this case, everything was operating just fine until I ran a graphics-intensive application that took control of one of my displays. The application also ran just fine, but when I ended it, my system locked up. Because the application had taken control of my main monitor (I was running an extended desktop, so my task tray and program icons were on the monitor that had been commandeered) I was unable to to an emergency power-down, and had to power down the system and reboot without a proper shut-down sequence. When the system attempted to power up again, the power supply came on, the fan started, but the system immediately shut down - indicating a non-functioning motherboard.

I tried unplugging one of the monitors; I tried swapping which monitor remained plugged in; I finally tried removing the video card and using the single-monitor card. I also tested all of the RAM just to be sure that it wasn't one of the components that had failed.

I finally had to conclude that somehow the monitors had drawn too much power, and burned out the motherboard.

What do do now? I had a lot of files on my C drive, so I really needed to get to them. It's always possible to get a drive enclosure, in effect creating an external drive out of an internal drive (the enclosure provides power and a connection, like a USB connection, to an internal drive, allowing you to plug it into an other system).

While researching what to buy, I discovered a neat little device that would solve my problem with a minimum of hassle: a Thermaltake Black X Duet dual internal drive dock. Attached to your computer via a USB cable, you simple plug your internal SATA drive (or drives) into the device, and your computer will "read" the drive as another available local drive.

It works like a charm, and I was able to access my files within minutes.

And for future reference, next time I hook up a new card to my motherboard, I will check the specs to be sure that the total power draw across my motherboard won't cause that motherboard to fry!

Comments

Popular Posts