Energy - It's in the Air

I was in Maryland last summer, on a business trip.

I had traveled there with some other people, who left me at my meeting and took the car off to other locations. I was to call them when it was time to be picked up - in a location other than the one where I had been dropped off, and unknown at the time of dropoff. In other words, I really needed a phone connection to my group.

Like a dolt, I had forgotten my cell phone charger. I did have a car charger, but no AC charger so I was rationing use.

Toward the end of the day, the phone was bleeding power before my eyes, and of course ran out before it was time to call for my pickup.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a public phone these days? You do start to wonder if there isn't a point to be made that everyone "needs" a cell phone today. I wandered around the location where I was for a while, looking for a pay phone, and finally begged an office phone from a kind soul - though of course, I couldn't even access my contact information as that was on my dead phone. (Fortunately for me, I'm enough of a Luddite that I also keep a paper planner - just in case.)

Too bad I didn't have an Airenergy charger.

This is a mini-USB device that plugs into your phone, and that uses WiFi signal to generate a charge for your phone. So all you have to do is find a WiFi hotspot, and you'll be able to get power. As we learn from our friends at coated.com, a test of Airenergy indicated that it could bring a Blackberry from 30% to a full charge in an hour and a half - simply using WiFi. That may seem like a lot, but in an emergency, a few minutes charge time for enough juice to make that emergency call isn't such a big deal.

Manufactured by RCA, and slated to hit the shelves this summer, Airenergy is supposed to cost in the $40 range - and it will become part of my PLSS (Purse Life Support System).

Comments

Popular Posts