My Google Account

I've often wondered what would happen if Google went down. A major hack, a catastrophic server failure.

Well, that didn't happen, but I did get a minor scare.

When I tried to log in to my Google account one fine Monday morning, I was rejected!

I had spent the weekend away, and had taken a complete Internet break. (It happens!) So I don't really know how many days the account had been "suspicious." Nor do I have any idea why.

When I tried to log in, Google simply told me, "We've detected suspicious activity on your Google Account, and it has been suspended." I could look into the Google definition of "suspicious activity:"

  • Some messages have disappeared.
  • Messages you didn't send are bouncing.
  • Your friends complain that they received spam from you.
  • Messages that you didn't send appear in Sent Mail.
  • Your Last account activity shows sign-in activity at unusual times or from unusual computers.
  • Your Gmail settings have changed, but you didn't change them. Settings include: vacation responder, signature, forwarding, filters, and others
Needless to say, I noticed none of these things, nor have any of my contacts reported any unusual goings-on.

The "fix" for the problem wasn't comforting: Google asked me to enter my cell phone number, to which a code would be sent. Using that code, I could reset my password. Without thinking (dumb, dumb)I sent the cell phone number. I did get a verification code, which (fortunately for me!) did work to reset my account with a new password.

A thoughtful person concerned with security would have first asked: would Google ask for my cell phone number? Upon checking, I did learn that this is indeed how Google handles what they suspect is a compromised account; if it had not been, however, I would have just happily made matters worse by handing over my cell phone number with nary a blink.

Looking into the matter further, I have learned that many people have encountered the same problem, though typically with a little research, users discover spam sent using their account, or some other activity that signals a potential problem with their account. I could find no such activity with mine.

In general, though, users aren't very happy about not being able to reach someone at Google for assistance, and about being asked for a cell phone number as a remedy. (And of course this begs the question: what about that, admittedly rare, person who doesn't have a cell phone?)

Comments

Popular Posts