Text Fun

This being my favorite holiday season (Halloween), I got a text from a friend the other day with a bunch of Halloweeny icons in it. Not really emoticons, they were little ghosties and ghoulies. I was immediately both jealous and intrigued. I know he's got a Blackberry rather than an iPhone (my smart phone choice), but I nevertheless had to have something similar.

It hadn't occurred to me that of course people would be developing apps that allowed you to add images to your texts, but I wasn't sure exactly how it would work.

I went to the app store and searched for icons, and came up with a sizable list of choices. I generally try the apps with the highest ratings first, though that's not a guarantee that you're going to like it. The one I bought ($.99) is called Animoticons, and it offers both animated and still emoticons.

Once downloaded, the process of adding them to your texts is relatively easy (oh, by the way, you can also add them to your emails). Open the app and search through the list for the icons/animoticon you want, and select it. A menu will pop up asking if you want to add it to a text, email, etc. So you select where you'd like it to go, and it's copied to a clipboard.

Now return to your text, and hold your finger on the location in your text where you'd like the icon to go. The magnifier will appear, and when you take your finger off, you'll have the option of pasting - so select "paste," and the image will be placed in your text where you indicated.  It's that easy!

Now if they can just come up with one where you don't have to leave your text and open another app...

So, my friends whom I text, be prepared for lots of silliness to come!

Comments

Popular Posts