You're So Clickable!

Admit it.

You've opened that email that says, "The check has been deposited to your account."

It's not a new concept, and email marketers have become more and more adept at finding those irresistible phrases that make it nearly impossible for you to ignore the bleating of their email message.

I recall having a list of words taped to my computer screen that were the Holy Grail words of ad copy: "free," "exciting," "now," that sort of thing. And of course you all remember - and people are still falling for the "I'm stranded in Africa and need you to deposit these funds in your account for me and send me..." A friend recently got a come-on from a supposed head hunter who was offering a $200,000 a year job, plus car and other benefits, based on his resume, which was so outstanding. I said, um hmm. What do you bet they want you to sign up for their program for a mere $5,000?

But here are just a few of the emails subject lines I get on a regular basis:
"It's almost over, Nancy."
"Nancy, congratulations. Your order has shipped to (my address)."
"Hi, Nancy, this is the reminder you requested."
"Top 5 Foods That Will Make You Fat!" (Or any subject line with "Top (Number)..." or "(Number) Best..."
"Your Limited Access Code Attached."
"Call me later."

Of course I get dozens more, but these are the ones that amuse me most because I do find myself wanting to click on them to be sure I'm not missing something... I'm not sure what, but something!  Even when I see three emails with the exact same subject line, it's still difficult sometimes to not check one out. Again, nothing they're doing here is new - using a first name, referring a "limited time only" offer, lists, or urgent appeals to something it seems that you've asked for or done. These techniques have been used by salespeople from time immemorial.

But one of the advantages email marketers have is you're a rock and they're water. Unlike the poor guy in the store who only has you for a few minutes, these guys can just keep the water flowing, day in, day out, and sooner or later, you wear down a little. One day you open the email. Now they know you are a "good" address, and they turn up the volume a little. God forbid you "click through," because now you're not just a good address, but you've, in the parlance, "raised your hand," or shown an interest in what they're offering. Well, you know the rest of the story.

It's a clickable world out there, and you've got to be tough.

Now, excuse me, while I go read the Top Five Reasons You Should Check Out My Blog Next Week!


Comments

Popular Posts