Unboxing

It's hard to write this with a straight face. Hmmm... maybe I should create a videotape of myself writing this, and post it to YouTube. I might start a whole new phenomenon of "Writing Face" videos!

There probably already is one.

I found this recently: "Now I wonder why anybody would watch unboxing. That’s a genre of YouTube video. Someone orders, let’s say, a Samsung tablet -- and records the process of opening the carton to examine the contents. That anybody would video this process is unsurprising; social media are overflowing with the self-indulgent documentation of stuff nobody else could possibly be interested in. (“Just touched down in Dayton!” “My rash is now blistering.” “Cashews. Yum!”)
What’s baffling is that many people are interested in unboxing videos."

Yes, we have all known for a long time that there are a lot of silly, boring, navel-gazing posts shared to FaceBook, Twitter and YouTube, among other social media outlets. But taking a new electronic gadget out of a box?

I can only wonder where this is all headed. After we've seen people sharing the most mundane, most obscene, most private, most touching moments of their lives with all the world - what's left?

Last night I went out for a quick drink and left my cell phone at home. I didn't mean to, mind you. It was on charge and I forgot it. At first I felt panicky when I realized it wasn't with me. A few times I felt that I should be able to pull it out to check a fact that didn't come readily to mind during the conversation. But oddly, I survived. My friend and I had a nice conversation. When I got home, my phone hadn't imploded, the universe was in place, and nothing critical had happened while my cell and I were separated.

And I was, oddly, at peace!

Comments

SpokePost.com said…
I admit to having watched unboxing videos before...

Popular Posts