My Favorite Things

http://www.allmyfaves.com/

Fans of the Internet know the importance of being connected. Connected to the Internet itself, of course, but also connected in the sense of knowing what's hot - what works - what is the latest and greatest.

"Viral" is one word used to describe how information that's "of the moment" gets passed from one person to the next. In other words, it spreads "like a virus." I sneeze, you get the virus, you pass it to three other people, they each pass it to 5 people, and so on and so on, and soon the virus has spread around the world. In fact, we've all experienced seeing the same information circling back to us weeks, sometimes even years after we first passed it along. Who knows, maybe it's the self-same version of that information finally making its way home?

The point is, there is a world of information available on the Internet, but even with that unbelievable amount of choice, sooner or later the cream, as they say, will rise to the top. We begin to identify the "best," the "most interesting," the "have to know about" stuff.

That is more or less the idea behind "All My Faves."

All My Faves is sort of like your categorized Bookmarks (or Favorites) on steroids.

I can't tell you how many times I've found a website that I was absolutely positively sure I would want to visit again, so I bookmarked it. On ambitious days, I have even set up categories for bookmarks - "Grammar," and "Web Development" and "Exercise" - so that I can more easily find a particular website again.

Well, the guys at All My Faves have done this for us.

Says All My Faves, "We have searched the web and provided you with a visual (logo-based) directory that includes the best sites in each category! We know we don't have everything, but we are trying hard to get you the most of what you need, in a unique and innovative way."

When you access All My Faves, you are presented with a page full of icons. To the left are the categories, such as Email, Video, Maps, Search, News and Weather. To the right of each of these categories are arranged a row of icons represented the latest and greatest web resource in each of these categories. So, next to the category "Video," for example, you'll see YouTube, LiveLeak, Google Video, MetaCafe, Hulu, Veoh, and so on. Each icons is a link to that site. You don't have to remember all the choices - all you have to remember is "All My Faves."

So, let's say you wanted to find out what movies Claude Raines appeared in. Rather than try to remember the best website for this information (it's probably IMDB, by the way), just open up All My Faves, and voila - a list of all the best, the very best, Movie-related websites.

Users are free to suggest sites and categories, and each week there is a new list of "Weekly Faves," hand-picked sites that are what's new, different, fun, exciting on the Internet.

Enjoy! Oh, and add "All My Faves" to your favorites. Do it now.

Comments

Popular Posts